Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Tuesday Night Bluegrass/Old Time/Gospel Jam

Thought I'd tell you all about something wonderful that happened to me last week. I had been in town just a few days, but was already missing home, family and friends. I'm staying temporarily over an hour away from my job, so even the comforts of my temporary home were at a reach.

Well, I stumbled upon a web site that had just a few words written about a Bluegrass Jam. It said:

Tuesday Night Bluegrass, Old Time and Gospel Jam. Every Tuesday night at the Pine Hall Lutheran Church, 1760 West College Avenue, State College, 7-10 p.m. Open to the public. Everyone is welcome to join in--or just to listen.

Well that's all I needed to hear.

So I went. I entered right on time, and noticed a bunch of folks kind of eyeing me up, wondering what I was doing there. It was clear that they all knew eachother very well, so as a stranger, I stuck out a bit. One fella even asked my what kind of music I expected to hear. I told him that I was sure I'm here for exactly the kind of music they are all about to play.

Well, long story short, I met about 30 of the finest folks around. They welcomed me with open arms and made me feel right at home. When I explained my situation of being new in town, new job, long commute and so on, they offered me comfort and any help they could give.

I told them about mudcat.org, and I know for a fact they'd all fit in. I have seen this song circle before. Not these people, mind you, but the ritual of a sing or a jam or whatever folks want to call it, and the friendship and kindness.

So I just wanted to post a big thank you to the fine gentlemen and ladies at the Tuesday Night Bluegrass, Old Time and Gospel Jam at Pine Hall Lutheran Church. I hope they know how much they helped my spirit and how grateful I am to them.

So once again, the love of old time music has made me some fine friends.

1 comment:

Today's Active Topics @ mudcat.org

Today's Active Topics @ mudcat.org

MaxSuperFeed