Sunday, November 1, 2009

The New Familiars @ Elk Creek Cafe

I had some business in Millheim the other day, and I finished up around dinner time. They say never to go to the grocery store hungry, well , I learned another lesson. Don't consult hungry either. I told my client that dinner at Elk Creek Cafe +Aleworks would be payment enough.

Lucky for me, you can always count on two things at Elk Creek, great food and great music, and once again, I got both.

The New Familiars are a band from North Carolina who were finishing up their tour and heading home. Somehow Tim found them and talked them into stopping for one last show before getting to sleep in something other than a band van for the first time in weeks.

Very impressive crowd for what I would have expected on a Sunday evening and an unfamiliar (chuckle) band. The band, the crowd and the folks running the works at Elk Creek exuded a friendliness and approachability that really adds to the whole experience. Excellent musicianship, great emotion, impressive songwriting and song selection and an all around damn good show.

After a fair amount of pleading, the band played an encore for the crowd, in the crowd. Folks ate that up, a trick I've seen before, but it felt original and genuine.



Couldn't resist the meatloaf again, so I have little to say about the food that I haven't already posted about, but the meatloaf satisfied once again.

If you haven't gotten out to Elk Creek yet, you must make it a priority. A truly unique place, tucked away in the hills outside State College Pennsylvania.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today's Active Topics @ mudcat.org

Today's Active Topics @ mudcat.org

MaxSuperFeed